Western Australia, Australia$1495.00
Experience the amazing feeling of working with one of the world’s intelligent creatures; Dolphins! Venture into Bunbury, Western Australia where you will have a chance to swim with these amazing creatures while working towards a worthwhile cause of increasing public awareness of these dolphins and other marine life!
The Dolphin Program is a popular project for both international and local volunteers with hundreds being attracted to the project each year. Many of them even return to relive the wonderful experience in beautiful Australia! For a minimum of eight weeks you will volunteer and live in Bunbury where you will help with the Conservation, Education, Tourism and Research of the local bottlenose dolphins! Meet volunteers and tourists from all over the world on a daily basis and create long lasting friendships! If you are looking for a unique volunteering opportunity to have a fun time while contributing towards a worthwhile cause then this project is perfect for you! Take part in the day to day activities of the project! Become a swim tour guide or talk to visitors from all over the world about the program and these amazing creatures. Learn about the life of the bottlenose dolphins! The beach is just two minutes away from the project and is perfect for relaxation! Apply now and don’t miss the opportunity to have a fantastic volunteer experience!
This Is Why
- Live and volunteer with one of the world’s most intelligent creatures; Dolphins!
- Great opportunity to live in Australia and learn a new culture.
- Meet people from all over the world and work along with a friendly staff.
- Act as a tour guide and have a chance to swim with the dolphins!
- Key Start Dates
Year round however to get the most out of your volunteer experience we suggest you go between October and April.
- Package Price
6 weeks 1,495 US$
8 weeks 1,795 US$
12 weeks 2,295 US$
- Volunteer duration
6 - 12 weeks
- Average Work hours
You will be required to volunteer 5 days a week a minimum of 4 hours per day. Days off are not always in the weekend.
- Number of Volunteers
- Fly to
You should fly to Perth in Western Australia then take a 2 hour bus/train journey south to Bunbury. The bus will take you to the Bunbury Visitor Center which is a five minutes’ walk from your accommodation.
- Internet Access
- Who Are They Looking For?
Individuals who do not only wish to swim with dolphins but have a passion for protecting dolphins and other marine life. Helping to raise public awareness for the amazing creatures will be one of your main tasks as such you must have good communicating skills. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. We will not tolerate smoking, alcohol or the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: Australia
Where? Austalasia, Western australia
Country Size: 7,692,042 km2
2,969,907 sq mi
Population density? 2.8/km2, 7.3/sq mi
Country Famous for? Koalas, Kangaroos, Wildlife watching, pristine beaches, vibrant cities, friendly people, Sunshine State of Australia
When to visit: All year round
- What's Included
Dorm rooms in a hostel that is a fifteen minutes’ walk away from the project.
Meals are not included but the hostel does provide some bread so you can make breakfast or lunch.
- Hostel Perth
1 night hostel included at a hostel in Perth.
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through FRONTEERING you have the possibility to book tours in Australia after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during you stay in Vancouver you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights and Insurance
06 Weeks: $1,495.00 US
08 Weeks: $1,795.00 US
12 Weeks: $2,295.00 US
At the Dolphin project, volunteers act as a vital part towards the Conservation, Education, Tourism and Research of the local population of wild bottlenose dolphins. Hundreds of international and local volunteers take part in this wonderful experience each year. As a volunteer, not only will you get to experience swimming with these amazing creatures but also help with the daily tasks at the project. Some of your responsibilities will includes:
- Managing the Dolphin Program Room area, Assist with research and record observations in the bay, Put in data found into databases for analysisaintaining the upkeep of the paths and fences and assist and monitor dolphin visits to the zone.
- Communicate with tourists/visitors on the beach about the Dolphins and what the program is about.
- Help with caring and maintaining of Aquariums and help with the general cleaning and maintenance at the project.
- Assist with tourists and help with guided tours and act as tour guides at the Interpretive Center for the public, tour groups and students and Take part in various activities at the project.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 6 weeks
- Must commit to the aims and objectives of the Dolphin Project. do not tolerate drugs. Our smoking policy is that is not permitted indoors. Alcohol is permitted (after all it is Australia) but alcohol abuse and antisocial behaviour are strictly not tolerated.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit and be able to work in a team.
- Age: 18+
- No animal allergies
- Required to learn all information about the Dolphin Program and the dolphins themselves once at the project.
- A love for animals and some general experience of caring for an animal is a must!
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics and Must attend training sessions at the start and daily/monthly meetings.
- Good knowledge of the English and good communication skills
- Volunteer Benefits
- Assist in increasing public awareness about dolphins and other marine life.
- Meet and interact with many people (staff, volunteers, tourists) on a daily basis.
- Swim with dolphins & Help with conservation of Dolphins and other marine life of Australia.
- Fast Facts
- Project location
- Area Famous For
Kangaroo's, Kaola's, surfers paradise, unspoiled part of Australia, Beaches, watersports
- When to visit
All year round
- Wildlife viewing
Great place to see wildlife like Kangaroo's, Koala's, dolphins and Cockatoo's!
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 - Arrive in Perth, Australia;
You will arrive in Perth where you will stay for one night. You will make your way to Bunbury the next day by Bus or Train.
For 6 - 12 weeks -Volunteer With Dolphins! For the coming weeks you will have a great time working with dolphins in Western Australia!
Your last day - You will travel back to Perth and fly home or take the opportunity to travel through Australia . Our staff will gladly help you to book any tours to see more of this great country.
- Itinerary & Details
You will stay in a dorm style room at a nearby hostel which is just a 15 minutes’ walk away from the project. You will have access to unlimited wifi, a fully equipped kitchen, a pool table, mini basketball court, hammocks, coin operated laundry and a BBQ area. Linens will also be provided and the beach and the city is just a few minutes’ walk away.
Meals are not included but there will be bread most of the time that you can use to make breakfast or a lunch sandwhich.
This project is located in Bunbury, Western Australia where a number of dolphins frequent the bay all the time. This is perfect for those who have a love for dolphins and marine life and have a passion for protecting these amazing species.