Big Cats Sanctuary
Western Cape, South Africa$1795.00
Interested in Volunteering? Animals? Why not take part in this amazing volunteering opportunity at our Big Cats Sanctuary located in Stanford, South Africa where you will have a chance of working with experienced animal caretakers/coordinators and other volunteers from around the world to care for these magnificent big cats!
This sanctuary focuses on being a safe haven for big cats, in addition to being an educational platform to raise awareness about the truth behind the lion and tiger industry in South Africa, and to give volunteers a unique opportunity to take part in a truly purposeful and ethical project! They share their passion, love and dedication with you, and show how animal welfare plays a crucial role in giving them the best captive life possible.
Located on 40 Hectares of land filled with the unique fynbos, large trees, a natural spring and a stunning mountain view, is what we call ‘the paradise’ that is considered home to these amazing creatures! Some of the residents are; Leopard, Lions, Tigers, Caracals & Black Backed Jackals. Come be a part of this amazing opportunity and volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks! The work with the wildlife on the Sanctuary can be physically demanding, yet very rewarding! Join the pride and learn about the many issues that these wild animals face in captivity and get a better understanding about them and also, what it takes to care for them on a day to day basis.
This Is Why
- Help at Big Cats Sanctuary based in Africa!
- Learn how to care for the world’s biggest and most majestic animals in the world!
- Be an assistant on their educational visit as part of an education program.
- Take care of wildlife, explore the nature side of Africa by enjoying the many attractions in the Cape Town and Overberg area, and go for a beautiful evening walk with the dogs and cats while enjoying the African sunset and much more!
- Key Start Dates
The project prefers applicants starting and ending on Saturdays. We advise that you arrive/depart at the Cape Town International airport between 10am and 2pm on the specific date. Should you, however, like to make alternative arrangements with them, they will do their best to accommodate you. Please be reminded that there is a fee attached to offschedule pickups.
- Package Price
02 Weeks: $1,795.00 US$
03 Weeks: $2,295.00 US$
04 Weeks: $2,695.00 US$
- Volunteer duration
02 - 4 weeks (The project accepts long term volunteers and longer durations available on request)
- Average Work hours
There isn’t a fixed schedule however the day usually lasts from 7AM to 6PM with three hours rest during the day.
- Number of Volunteers
- Volunteer accommodation
Provided by the Project
- Housing Type
You will be staying in the beautiful house on the project itself and will be given a semi-private room. Depending on how many other volunteers are attending this project at one time, you may have a room alone or share your room with one other volunteer (same sex).
Available at the volunteer house.
- Who Are They Looking For?
Love of the outdoors and a passion for animals is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. Smoking is permitted only in designated areas and alcoholic beverages are only allowed during after working hours. We will not tolerate the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential.
Fast Facts: South Africa
Where? Stanford, South Africa
Country Size: 1,109 km2
428 sq mile
Population density? 62/km2
Country Famous for? Wildlife watching, Kruger Park, Garden Route, Addo National Park, Elephants, Dolphins, Great White Sharks, beaches, lagoons, friendly people, great food and wine, shopping, bungee jumping, adrenaline sports, Wildlife
When to visit: All year round
- What's Included
Big Cats Sanctuary
You will be living in semi-private room in the Sanctuary’s guest house. Depending on how many other volunteers are attending this project at one time, you may share your room with 1 other volunteer (same sex). The house consists of 4 bedrooms with 3 bathrooms, a spacious and fully equipped kitchen for everyone to cook, a big living and dining room area where everyone enjoy dinners together, game nights, film evening or just relaxing with a nice book. Outside there is a traditional South African braai (BBQ) area, and a lovely pool with a garden to sunbath for the hot summer days!
Volunteers will need to prepare their own breakfasts with groceries provided by the Sanctuary, Lunches are provided and prepared by the project itself, and finally volunteers will need to purchase and make own Dinners. Full kitchen privileges are available for your use, special arrangements such as vegan or vegetarian food can be made as well. The lunches offered is 99% vegetarian. Please specify any special dietary needs before you arrive, this includes special dietary needs for medical conditions.
Transfers to and from Cape Town International Airport for arrival and departure and weekly transport to grocery shop and weekly excurions
- Ongoing service
If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organization.
Through our organization you have the possibility to book tours in South Africa after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact
If there are any problems during your stay in South Africa you can reach us 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights, Insurances, Dinners, Lodging in Cape Town if required and any activities and sight-seeing that has a fee attached to it.
02 Weeks: $1695.00 US$
03 Weeks: $2295.00 US$
04 Weeks: $2695.00 US$
- What's Included
The project will offer you the unique opportunity to be involved behind the scenes and as such, your daily tasks will include:
- Caring for the amazing big cats.
- Enrichment program (stimulation program to activate all the animals’ senses).
- Preparation of food and feeding.
- Cleaning and maintaining enclosures.
- General farm work.
- Assisting with educating visitors.
- Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 2 weeks.
- You must respect and love animals;
- You must be tolerant towards others and abide by all sanctuary rules;.
- You must welcome team work but also be able to work alone;
- Age: 18+
- Must have a good knowledge of English and confident in speaking it.
- Good communication skills
- You must be up to date in your routine Vaccinations.
- Must be able to work as part of a team or individually.
- No animal allergies.
- Must be polite and courteous to the public at all times.
- You must have a Wildlife and accident insurance for the period that you are going to be at the sanctuary.
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics of the project.
- Fast Facts
- Project location
Stanford, South Africa
- Area Famous For
Historical sites and Infrastructures, Birkenhead Brewery, Wineries and Vineyards, Friendly people, Cultures and Traditions, wildlife, endless outdoor activities!
- When to visit
All year round
- Project location
- Itinerary & Details
Day 1 - Arrive in Cape Town, South Africa;
You will arrive in Cape Town where you will be met by the Project’s transport team at the arrival hall. You’ll then be transferred to the Sanctuary Guest House!
For 2 - 4 Weeks – Make a difference for the animals and ensure their welfare in a holistic manner!
For the coming weeks you will have a great time working directly with many different kinds of cats.
Your last day - You will be transferred back to the airport to take a flight back home. Of course, it is possible to extend your stay and travel around; we can help you with trips and/or accommodations you would like to arrange.
You will be living in a semi-private room in the Sanctuary’s main house. Depending on how many other volunteers are attending this project at one time, you may share your room with 1 other volunteer (same sex). The house consists of 4 bedrooms with 3 bathrooms, a spacious and fully equipped kitchen for everyone to cook, a big living and dining room area where everyone enjoy dinners together, game nights, film evening or just relaxing with a nice book. Outside there is a traditional South African braai (BBQ) area, and a lovely pool with a garden to sunbath for the hot summer days.
Things to bring from home
- Clothes - We advise you to bring outdoor clothes that you can maybe leave behind if they get too worn out. The summers are hot, both day and night, so you should pack some light clothes and shoes. Even though winter temperatures do not get too cold (never below freezing temp), the wind, large rain falls and coastal humidity is unpredictable, so make sure to bring nice warm clothes, waterproof jacket and trousers as well. The Sanctuary has a washing machine so it is sufficient to bring the amount of clothes for only one week. There will be the opportunity to go out for meals and some fun activities in Hermanus and even Cape Town before or after your stay, so if you like to dress up a little bit some nicer clothes will come in handy.
- Shoes - We recommend three different pairs of shoes so you have a few choices that suit you and the weather conditions. Comfortable, hard wearing working shoes/boots will be the main accessory. In addition, we also advise that you bring along a suitable pair of sandals and flip flops for those warm days on the farm and or for the time you get to visit the beach! Ensure that you bring your gumboots as well, even in the spring/autumn you might need these to work on the farm. Alternatively you can buy them very cheap at the local shop to save space in the suitcase
- Other suggested items;sunglasses, hat or cap, sunscreen lotion, swimsuit, Insect Repellent, Anti-bacterial face/Hand wipes, waterproof jacket, spare glasses for those who wear them, camera, personal items and Make up.
Volunteers will need to prepare their own breakfasts with groceries provided by the Sanctuary, Lunches are prepared and provided by the project and finally volunteers will need to purchase and prepare own Dinners. Full kitchen privileges are available for your use, special arrangements such as vegan or vegetarian food can be made as well. The food offered is 99% vegetarian. Please specify any special dietary needs before you arrive, this includes special dietary needs for medical conditions..
The sanctuary is located in Stanford, South Africa which is the rural areas situated in the heart of the Cape Whale and White Shark Coast about 140km from Cape Town. There are various opportunities in the area to go Kayaking, Shark cage diving, Wine tasting, Horse Back riding, Quadbiking, paragliding and so much more!
Testimonials Coming Soon!